Nufarm specializes in manufacturing herbicides and other crop protection products for areas such as farmland, home lawns, and municipal parks. The project will include the renovation of an abandoned 104,000 square foot facility and equipment install to produce and blend 157 high volume foundational herbicides and cotton defoliants. The Company has two current facilities in Illinois that are responsible for 90% of the products sold in the United States and are at full capacity. Nufarm chose Greenville, MS because of its location, which will provide a central distribution center for its southeast markets. The new facility will allow the company to produce and package up to 65,000 gallons of product daily (17 million gallons annually).
- Total Project Cost: $32.8 million
- MuniStrategies Allocation: $8 million (additional $8 million from another CDE)
- Total State (MS) NMTC allocation: $10 million
- Economic: The newly renovated property sits on a former Brownfield site that was abandoned and in disrepair for some time. The new facility features state of the art chemical composition and distribution technology to provide farmers covering millions of acres in the Mississippi Delta with the most cost-effective and environmentally prudent crop solutions available.
- Jobs: The Nufarm facility in Greenville will create 61 new full time jobs and 120 construction jobs as a result of this investment. These positions will pay an average of $18.31/hour, compared to the living wage in Washington County of $10.72/hour and far exceed MuniStrategies goal of 130% of the living wage. All employees will have an extensive benefits package and at least 75% of the jobs are accessible to low-income persons without educational requirements.
- Community: Several state and local entities have offered incentives, including $1.1 million from the State of Mississippi to upgrade the surrounding rail and building infrastructure. Further, the City of Greenville has agreed to transfer the land, valued at $1.5 million to Nufarm, including $3.7 million in property tax abatements.
- Workforce Development: Nufarm has committed to $50,000 per year in critical workforce training (or $350,000 for the compliance period). It will partner with Mississippi Delta Community College (MDCC) to create a Business Services New Jobs Training Program for potential new hires and other members of the community. Nufarm is developing a curriculum for employees consisting of a Manufacturing Skills Basic Training Course which will focus on job-related topics such as high-performance manufacturing, industrial math, computer literacy, and OSHA safety training.
In the News
Croplife – Nufarm Opens State of the Art Crop Protection Manufacturing Facility in Greenville, MS
Nufarm – Nufarm Announces New Manufacturing Facility in Greenville, Mississippi
Washington County Economic Alliance Facebook Video
WCEA MS – Nufarm Americas Opens New Plant in Greenville, MS
Cotton Grower – Nufarm Opens Protection Manufacturing Facility in Mississippi
Mississippi.org – Industry Leading Crop Protection Company Nufarm Locates in Greenville