Mississippi Silicon is a $187M silicon metal production facility in Burnsville, Mississippi. Silicon metal is consumed throughout the world in a wide variety of industries, including the aluminum, automotive, chemical, semiconductor and solar industries. This silicon metal facility has the highest quality processes and environmental controls available, which allows Mississippi Silicon to operate one of the most efficient and cleanest plants in the world. The production capacity will grow to 36,000 metric tons annually.
Located in Tishomingo County, the production facility has the opportunity to highly impact a county that has traditionally faced challenges creating economic opportunities. Mississippi Silicon has committed to provide at least 200 jobs for an area that has a 14.6% unemployment rate and few alternative employment opportunities.
Mississippi Silicon’s facility will initially consist of two submerged arc furnaces but will be designed to accommodate expansion.
It is anticipated that the production and maintenance personnel employed at the facility will earn a compensation package that averages in excess of $50,000 annually. In addition, all employees will participate in a bonus program that will provide incentives for productivity.
- Total Project Cost: $187 million
- MuniStrategies Allocation: $15.0 million (other NMTC allocation – $27 million)
- Total State (MS) NMTC allocation: $10 million
- Additional incentive funding from Mississippi Development Authority, Tishomingo County, Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC).
- Economic: In addition to projected company revenues of $75 million annually, the company spends about $7 million annually to source component factory inputs such as wood chips, gravel and coal. All of these come from LIC-based land owners and small businesses.
- Jobs: 200 new quality jobs will be created with an annual payroll over $10,000,000. 450 construction jobs were created during the building phase. Mississippi Silicon offers a competitive benefits package with salaries over $50,000/year, including medical and dental coverage and a defined contribution retirement plan. The vast majority of employees live within 20 miles of the plant.
- Community: The company has had an enormous impact on the local community including instantly becoming one of the largest employers locally. Electrical, water/sewer and fiber service improvements needed to run the plant have already spawned additional industrial development in the nearby Yellow Creek Port area, for which the company has made significant improvements.
- Workforce Development: All applicants are applied through Mississippi’s WIN Job Centers and forwarded to Northeastern MS Community College. There, they get a “Job Readiness Certificate – Silver Level” and are then officially accepted as applicants of the company. MS Silicon also does a high volume of onsite safety training and peer-to-peer subject matter training.
In the News
MS Silicon sponsors innovative manufacturing academy at local community college
Mississippi Silicon attracts big attention at regional job fair
Mississippi Silicon Grand Opening Ceremony
NE MS Daily Journal covers Mississippi Silicon grand opening